This air fryer chicken breast is an essential recipe for the air fryer. The results are incredibly tender and juicy — all from a quick 10-minute cooking process!
Because my baked chicken breast has become such a reader favorite, it was about time I tweaked the recipe to work perfectly in the air fryer! I might even admit that this is my new favorite way to cook chicken breast (amongst the many chicken breast recipes on my website).
It requires less cooking time and creates immaculate results. Who doesn’t love that? So if you’ve got an air fryer, this is a staple recipe (along with my air fryer salmon) that you should keep in your back pocket to make healthy dinners a breeze.
Air Fryer Chicken Breast Ingredients
Here are a few notes on what to look for in your chicken breasts and what you’ll need for the seasoning.
- Chicken Breast: The key to this recipe is making sure you buy the right size of boneless, skinless chicken breasts — about 7 ounces. Larger breasts will take an additional 1 to 4 minutes to cook.
- Seasoning: A simple mix of paprika, garlic powder, thyme, salt, and pepper does wonders for plain chicken. You could also use other dried herbs such as oregano or parsley!
Helpful tip: If you’re using frozen chicken breasts, make sure to let them defrost in the fridge overnight or at least 4 to 5 hours before cooking. Then, let them come to room temperature for 10 to 15 minutes before seasoning.
Find the printable recipe with measurements below.
How To Air Fry Chicken Breast
I know there’s some recipes that say you can cook chicken breasts in 8 minutes, but trust me, that only works if you pound the chicken super flat like a pancake. And then you get thin, dry chicken. If you want juicy chicken, lightly pound it and then air fry for 10 to 14 minutes (depending on the size of your chicken breasts). Here’s all the steps:
Mix together the spices. Stir this all together in a small bowl and set it aside.
Pound and season the chicken. Lightly pound the chicken to flatten the thicker side. Then, coat the chicken in some oil and sprinkle the seasoning on both sides. Rub it in good with your hands!
It’s time to air fry! Add the chicken breasts to the air fryer and cook smooth side down for 7 minutes at 375°F (190°C). Flip the chicken over and cook an additional 3 minutes (or more for larger chicken breasts) before pulling it out of the air fryer.
Here’s a cooking guideline to use:
- 6 to 7-ounce chicken breasts: about 10 to 11 minutes total
- 8 to 9-ounce chicken breasts: about 11 to 12 minutes total
- 10-ounce or larger chicken breasts: about 13 to 14 minutes total
Do you need to preheat the air fryer? I don’t recommend preheating the air fryer for this recipe. Preheating the air fryer is most beneficial when you want a crispy outside, like on my air fryer chicken wings. But preheating the air fryer for chicken breasts can result in the outside cooking faster than the inside (and drying out).
Helpful tip: If you’re not sure if your chicken is cooked through, use an instant-read thermometer to see if the internal temperature has reached 160°F (71°C).
- Store leftovers: The chicken will keep for about 4 to 5 days in the fridge in an airtight container. Perfect to enjoy throughout the week!
- Freeze for later: To make the reheating process easier, slice, dice, or shred your chicken before freezing. The chicken will keep for several months in the freezer.
- Reheating tips: Chicken breasts can get a bit dry when you reheat the following days. So here’s a little tip. Add a teaspoon or so of water to the top of your chicken, then cover with a microwave-safe lid or plastic-wrap before reheating in the microwave. It will steam a little, helping the chicken absorb some of the moisture, and bring it back to life!
Air Fryer Chicken Breast Recipe Video
Need some visual guidance? Check out my step-by-step video below!
More Easy Air Fryer Recipes
- Air Fryer Green Beans (coming soon!)
- Air Fryer Baked Potato (coming soon!)
Air Fryer Chicken Breast
This easy air fryer chicken breast recipe is a healthy dinner essential with results that are incredibly tender, juicy, and delicious! And for some visual guidance – watch the video above!
Calories: 265kcal, Carbohydrates: 1g, Protein: 42g, Fat: 9g, Saturated Fat: 2g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g, Monounsaturated Fat: 4g, Trans Fat: 0.03g, Cholesterol: 127mg, Sodium: 812mg, Potassium: 753mg, Fiber: 0.3g, Sugar: 0.1g, Vitamin A: 311IU, Vitamin C: 2mg, Calcium: 15mg, Iron: 1mg
©Downshiftology. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.