If your cat ate a poisoned mouse, don’t fret! Your cat will likely be just fine because the amount of poison needed to kill a mouse is not nearly enough to kill your cat.
Feel better? We hope so—there’s nothing worse than worrying about an issue such as your cat being accidentally poisoned while trying to rid your home of a pest. But can your cat become sick or violently ill from eating a poisoned mouse? The short answer is that it’s possible but unlikely. Read on to learn more about this topic and other valuable information to keep your cat safe.
What Happens if My Cat Eats a Poisoned Mouse?
Having a cat decreases the chance of a rodent, especially mice, setting up shop in your home—just the presence of your cat is usually enough to deter them from hanging around, whether your cat is a hunter or not. However, if you choose to use poison to kill rodents, keep in mind that there’s a slight chance of your cat getting sick, but your cat would need to ingest many poisoned rodents or mice in order to see side effects.
The real risk is from anticoagulant rodenticide (secondary or relay poison) in which an animal (your cat) ingested poisons from bait stations or some area in and around the home where he can gain access to eat the poison directly. It’s vital to keep any type of poison out of your cat’s reach, and if you suspect your cat has ingested poison, call the pet poison helpline immediately.1
Are There Safer Methods to Kill Mice & Other Rodents?
Yes! As much as we wish it weren’t so, mice and other rodents can pose a health risk when they invade your home. Some mice and rats can carry diseases harmful to humans, such as Hantavirus, salmonella, typhus, and others. Despite their cuteness, you must remove them as soon as possible to protect yourself, your family, and your pets.
Let’s look at safer methods for your cat and other pets, as well as humane ways of taking care of the problem.
Avoid the Use of Glue Traps
No one likes having a rodent problem, but using glue traps is an inhumane way of getting rid of rodents. Many humane ways exist to keep rodents from suffering. In addition to glue traps being inhumane, the glue trap can get stuck on your cat or other pets. If you, by chance, run across a rodent trapped on a glue trap but still alive, and you want to save it, pour cold canola or vegetable oil between the rodent and the glue trap—this will allow the rodent to break free without pain. Ensure you set the rodent free in a safe area far away from your home.
How to Keep Your Home Rodent-Free
Keeping a hygienic home is vital in keeping pesky rodents away. However, even the cleanest of homes fall victim to rodent infestations. Nonetheless, here are ways to help prevent these infestations.
Tips for Keeping Your Cat Safe During Pest Control
The most effective way to keep your cat safe during pest control treatment is to avoid using poison. You can use one of the safer ways mentioned above that are both humane and keeps your pets safe. Keep your cat away from any bait or poison traps, and monitor your cat if you suspect he ate a poisoned mouse.
Remember, it’s unlikely your cat will get sick, as it would take your cat eating many poisoned mice or rodents to cause harm, but it’s better to be on the safe side.
Using poison to kill rodents is always a concern when you have pets in the home. Rodents do not hibernate, which makes your home an excellent spot to keep warm during cold months. Rodents can choose your attic, walls, or even your kitchen cupboards and appliances to use as their sanctuary in the winter. They can also pose fire risks from chewing on electrical wires, as well as possibly spreading disease.
If you’re concerned about using poison, you can use the safer methods mentioned in this post. It’s unlikely your cat will get sick from eating a poisoned mouse but practicing safer techniques is wise.
Featured Image Credit: Markos-Loizou, Shutterstock