Hugo Lloris explains why he was replaced by Fraser Forster at half-time as Tottenham goalkeeper concedes five in 21 minutes

Hugo Lloris explained why he replaced at half-time against Newcastle during a woeful display at St James’ Park.

The Tottenham goalkeeper had a miserable 45 minutes at St James’ Park where he conceded five in 21 minutes, though it has been reported that he suffered a suspected injury.


Lloris conceded five goals in just 21 minutes

Forster replaced him at half-time


Forster replaced him at half-time

Fraser Forster was given the gloves by Cristian Stellini, who also took Pape Matar Sarr off after 23 minutes to be replaced by Davinson Sanchez.

It is quite the call from the interim manager, while Lloris had a Sunday to forget.

He conceded five from six shots on target, with the only effort he saved leading to a goal in the second minute.

Newcastle star Joelinton forced Lloris into a very early save but he only palmed the ball into Jacob Murphy’s path, who scored the rebound.

And Joelinton got his goal and did not have to wait long, just four more minutes in fact, before Murphy grabbed his second from range with Lloris standing still.

Alexander Isak scored a quickfire double to make it 5-0 after 21 minutes in one of the most jaw-dropping first halves in recent Premier League history.

Lloris had a shocking half before coming off

Lloris had a shocking half before coming off

Newcastle were three goals up after nine minutes


Newcastle were three goals up after nine minutes

Explaining why he went off, Lloris said: “It doesn’t sound good. I don’t know, I think it’s a muscle. Around the hip I felt something on the long kick. 

“It doesn’t sound good and we will see tomorrow after a scan.”

Tottenham were in dire need of a win to kickstart their season and launch a late assault on the Premier League top four.

A win against Newcastle, who are third, would have seen Tottenham draw level with them on points.

But the Magpies’ victory sees them move six points clear, with a game in hand over Spurs.

Harry Kane did score just moments into the second half but it was too little way too late, though he did go within one of matching Wayne Rooney’s Premier League goal tally of 208.

But Callum Wilson restored Newcastle’s five-goal cushion with his first touch when he tapped home from a rebounded ball across the net.

And the match finished 6-1 to leave Spurs stunned and wondering where they are going, with Manchester United and Liverpool up next.

Recent Articles


Related Stories

Leave A Reply

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Stay on op - Ge the daily news in your inbox