Visiting Hong Kong soon? Make sure to know what to expect when it comes to purchasing a Hong Kong SIM card.
Fortunately, Asia is one of the best places where you can buy a SIM card easily.
You should be able to find a cheap SIM card pretty much anywhere in Asia. In fact, most data packages are affordable, which makes the whole thing easier!
In this guide, we’ll explain where to buy a SIM card in Hong Kong in person and online. We’ll also discuss prepaid SIM cards and eSIMs if your mobile supports them.
Before you read this guide, you may wonder if you actually need a SIM card in Hong Kong.
If you don’t mind not having Internet, you’ll likely find free Wifi in restaurants, shopping malls, and hotels.
That said, if you need data to get around, call a cab, or translate Chinese – you may want to get a SIM card for your travels in Hong Kong.
Best SIM Cards In Hong Kong
If you’re traveling in Hong Kong, we recommend using a SIM card from China Mobile Hong Kong, CSL, Three, or Airalo. (I’ll get back to Airalo later on, so keep reading to learn more!)
That said, if you’re planning on visiting other countries during your trip to Asia, you might want to make sure to pick an option that offers coverage in other Asian countries.
How To Buy A SIM Card In Hong Kong
You can either buy a Hong Kong prepaid SIM card in person in some international airports, mobile provider stores, convenience stores, or online.
Usually, you can expect higher costs and low data offers at the airport, so we don’t recommend buying a SIM card at the airport.
That said, you won’t necessarily find SIM card shops in every airport, so it’s essential to keep this in mind. And, when you see a shop, you might also have limited options.
For this reason, I’d recommend buying a SIM card directly from the mobile provider store. Note that you may need your passport to buy one.
Although, this means you won’t get data right upon your arrival. So, if you prefer to be connected at all times, you could use an eSIM or purchase an Asian prepaid SIM card online.
Planning your upcoming adventures? Travel by bus! (It’s cheap!)
Now, let’s take a look at the data plans offered by China Mobile Hong Kong, CSL, and Three.
China Mobile Hong Kong SIM Cards
China Mobile Hong Kong offers four different types of tourist plans:
- 3 GB, valid for 1 day for HKD 18 ($2.29)
- 2 GB, valid for 3 days for HKD 38 ($4.84)
- 3 GB, valid for 5 days for HKD 48 ($6.12)
- Unlimited data, valid for 10 days for HKD 30 ($3.82)
CSL SIM Cards
CSL has two different tourist plans available:
- 3 GB, valid for 5 days for HKD 88 ($11.22)
- 8 GB, valid for 8 days for HKD 118 ($15.04)
Three SIM Cards
Three offers three main SIM-only plans for tourists:
- 1 GB daily, valid for 30 days for HKD 48 ($6.12)
- 2 GB daily, valid for 30 days for HKD 78 ($9.94)
- 5 GB daily, valid for 30 days for HKD 188 ($23.97)
Overall, we think Three is the best option if you plan to buy your SIM card in person.
That said, any would do if you can’t find their store!
How To Buy A Hong Kong Prepaid SIM Card Online
If you wish to have your SIM card ready for your arrival, you could purchase it online or on websites like Amazon.
You’ll find different plans on Amazon. For example, the OneSimCard works in more than 200+ countries and gives you data for $0.01 per MB. Hong Kong is included.
But there are many other options worth considering, so have a look and make sure the countries you plan on visiting are listed.
Another option is to purchase a prepaid Asian SIM card on Simify. This works if you live in the United States or Australia.
They currently offer three packages that cover Hong Kong:
- 5 GB, valid for 15 days for $30
- 6 GB, valid for 30 days for $35
- 6 GB, valid for 15 days for $40
Finally, the last option is to buy an eSIM card for Hong Kong or, if you’re traveling to multiple countries, an eSIM plan for Asia.
How To Buy A Hong Kong eSIM Card
eSIM is a new concept allowing you to have a virtual SIM card inside your phone.
If your mobile phone supports eSIM cards – it’s definitely one of the best options to get data in Hong Kong.
Curious? Learn more about eSIMs for travelers on eSIM Roamers.
I started using eSIM as soon as my mobile phone supported it. To buy eSIMs, I usually use Airalo, a reliable eSIM provider.
Keep reading to learn more about the best eSIMs for Hong Kong.
Airalo Hong Kong
If you want to buy an eSIM for Hong Kong, you could purchase one on Airalo.
This website offers many eSIM cards worldwide and special plans for Asia and Hong Kong.
I’ve been using Airalo for several months, and it works fine. Learn more by reading our Airalo review.
Here are the options available:
- Hkmobile: 1 GB, valid for 7 days for $5
- Hkmobile: 3 GB, valid for 30 days for $8.50
- Hkmobile: 5 GB, valid for 30 days for $12
- Hkmobile: 10 GB, valid for 30 days for $19
Here’s an overview of the options available for Asia:
- 1 GB, valid for 7 days for $5
- 3 GB, valid for 30 days for $13
- 5 GB, valid for 30 days for $20
- 10 GB, valid for 30 days for $37
- 50 GB, valid for 90 days for $100
- 100 GB, valid for 180 days for $185
The options mentioned above are part of Asialink and offer coverage in 13 countries, including Hong Kong.
Alternatively, if you’re traveling in other countries, Discover Global offers coverage in 84 countries, including Hong Kong.
Here’s an overview of the options available on Discover Global:
- 1 GB, valid for 7 days for $9
- 3 GB, valid for 15 days for $24
- 5 GB, valid for 30 days for $35
- 10 GB, valid for 60 days for $59
- 20 GB, valid for 180 days for $89
Now, one important thing to note about Airalo is that you’ll need to keep an eye out for the provider in each country.
Suppose you ever have trouble connecting to the Internet during your trip.
In that case, it might be because you’re connecting automatically to networks and need to select a network manually instead.
When you purchase the eSIM, you’ll get access to the list of networks supported in each country.
Holafly Hong Kong
Alternatively, you could look at your options on Holafly.
You can read our Holafly review to learn more about this eSIM store.
Here’s an overview of the plan for Hong Kong:
- Unlimited data, valid for 5 days for $19
- Unlimited data, valid for 7 days for $27
- Unlimited data, valid for 10 days for $34
- Unlimited data, valid for 15 days for $47
- Unlimited data, valid for 20 days for $54
- Unlimited data, valid for 30 days for $64
- Unlimited data, valid for 60 days for $84
- Unlimited data, valid for 90 days for $99
Nomad Hong Kong
Finally, Nomad is also a great eSIM provider.
Here’s an overview of the plans available for Hong Kong:
- 20 GB, valid for 30 days for $26
- 30 GB, valid for 30 days for $60
- 40 GB, valid for 30 days for $75
- 50 GB, valid for 30 days for $90
- 100 GB, valid for 60 days for $170
Nomad also has Global, an eSIM plan for 111 countries worldwide. This plan offers coverage in Hong Kong.
Here’s an overview:
- 1GB, valid for 7 days for $25
- 3GB, valid for 30 days for $40
- 5GB, valid for 30 days for $45
Hong Kong, Macao And China
If you’re heading to Macau, Hong Kong, or China, you might need to get a different SIM card or eSIM unless you pick an Asia eSIM plan that covers the three destinations.
If you’re only traveling to Hong Kong, the information found on this page will be good for your travels.
Final Thoughts On SIM Cards In Hong Kong
As you can see, getting a prepaid SIM card in Hong Kong or even an eSIM for your travels in Hong Kong is pretty straightforward.
You’ll even be able to stay connected wherever you go in Asia without changing your SIM card, especially if you purchase an Asia or global plan.
I believe the eSIM card is the most convenient way to get data in Hong Kong if you wish to have data upon your arrival.
This way, you won’t need to go to a store to buy a SIM card.
Obviously, you need to make sure your mobile phone supports eSIM first.
Traveling to Asia soon? Read one of the following blog posts: