- Elon Musk mentioned wizards, flip phones, horses, and rust balls during Tesla’s investor working day.
- The EV maker’s CEO weighed in on AI’s potential, scaling challenges, and the energy of the human thoughts.
- There is certainly in essence infinite demand from customers for Tesla vehicles, but affordability is restricting revenue, Musk stated.
Elon Musk touched on almost everything from wizards and horses to flip phones and rust balls for the duration of Tesla’s investor day on Wednesday.
The electrical-car company’s CEO also cracked a joke about charging, and discussed the limitations and dangers of artificial intelligence, the inner workings of the human mind, and the problems of scaling motor vehicle output.
Listed here are Musk’s 10 most vibrant quotations, lightly edited for length and clarity:
1. “There is a extremely large assortment of complex expertise out there, from people today who are stage 9 wizards in the subject matter to people who do not do engineering at all.”
2. “All vehicles will go to thoroughly electric and autonomous. Riding in a non-autonomous gasoline automobile is likely to be analogous to driving a horse and applying a flip cellular phone.”
3. “Trivia level — what is Earth created of? By mass, it is manufactured of iron a lot more than just about anything else. 2nd, oxygen and then every little thing else immediately after that. So in essence, Earth is a muddy rust ball.”
4. “I will not imagine quite several folks are going to use bi-directional charging unless of course you have a Powerwall, because if you unplug your vehicle, your household goes dark, and this is very inconvenient. If you have a Powerwall that can consider the property load, then you know you might be not likely to drive everyone crazy by unplugging your auto and obtaining the residence go off — you have not diminished the ease of the persons in the household.”
5. “Folks have run out of matters to do with traditional automobiles so they just end up reshuffling the deck. There are hundreds of variants of vehicles on the street, and largely they are variants for the sake of variants. Glance at how matters converged with the cellphone — there utilised to be hundreds of flip phones, now what do we have? It’ll be like that.” (Musk was talking about how several various Tesla styles he strategies to launch.)
6. “Demand from customers for our cars in conditions of drive to individual them may as very well be infinite — it truly is indistinguishable from infinite at this level. The affordability is what matters. As you make the car much more reasonably priced, we will have demand go mad.”
7. “The hard portion is making the automobiles, and the full offer chain that goes with the cars and trucks — this is a logistics challenge of extraordinary issues. All the items that have to go into the car or truck have to scale with the automobile while almost everything is accomplishing an exponential ramp. If you miss even one of all those items, does not subject why — earthquake, flood, fireplace, revolution — any aspect of that offer chain receives interrupted, then you have a seizure.”
8. “I do not see AI encouraging us make cars whenever shortly. No issue any of us doing work at that stage. We must all just chill out.”
9. “I’m a minimal nervous about the AI things it really is something we ought to be involved about. We will need some
sort of regulatory authority that’s overseeing AI growth, and just producing positive that it can be working inside the general public fascination. It’s rather a dangerous technological innovation — I dread I might have accomplished some points to accelerate it.” (Musk cofounded OpenAI, the creator of ChatGPT.)
10. “If you basically search at our neural-net architecture in the auto, it truly is form of crazy, frankly — nets upon nets on nets on nets. It can be challenging to visualize. I guess something like that’s going on in our brains even though we drive about, which is quite wild.”